In 1941, the Washington Post reported that funds for paving projects in Congress Heights, Barry Farm, Bellevue, and Washington Highlands had been approved as part of a large roads program. The Public Roads Administration, a subdivision of the Federal Works Administration (FWA), was approved to pave the following stretches on and around South Capitol Street SE, across the Anacostia River: Firth Sterling Avenue and South Capitol Street between Howard Road and Nichols Avenue SE; Overlook Avenue, from South Capitol Street to Fourth and Chesapeake Streets SW; South Capitol Street, from Atlantic Street to the District line. Work was to start immediately.
While we have not found further confirmation, the work was almost certainly carried through to completion. It is probably no longer visible, given subsequent road work that includes Interstate 295 and other major throughways.
“$1,158,000 D.C. roads program set,” Washington Post, March 23, 1941, p. B1
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on April 14, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE