Condon City Hall
Receiving a grant of $9,000 from the Public Works Administration (PWA), the City of Condon announced in 1937 that they would proceed with construction of the new city hall. The city hall design provided room for the fire department and city offices as well as space for the local Masonic Lodge.
The Portland architect C. N. Freeman provided the initial design for the building but it changed substantially with construction. The Portland contractor H. J. Settergren built the Colonial Revival style structure with a cupola on the hip roof, a stuccoed first floor and a red brick second floor. A clock-face over the entrance is perhaps the most striking design detail. Otherwise, the civic building’s ornamentation includes modernized classical details with fluted pilasters at the recessed main entrance and a dentiled cornice that further defines the distinction between the first and second floors.
Although the Fire Department is no longer located in the building, the Condon City Hall continues to house city offices and provide meeting space for the Masonic Lodge.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
"Ickes Announces PWA Allotments," Oregon Journal. August, 25, 1937. p.7.
"New City Hall for Condon," Oregonian. October 17, 1937. p. 23.
"Condon to Erect New City Hall; Contract Granted," Oregonian. January 9, 1938.
Project originally submitted by Judith T Kenny on June 24, 2021.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE