Winona Community House
One of 17 community houses constructed in Mississippi during the New Deal, the facility in Winona is still in use and maintained through regular repair, retaining “a high degree of integrity” (Gatlin, 2008). The building is faced with native rock in a Tudor style..
The public library was housed in the building initially, as were many of the libraries opened in Mississippi under the New Deal library projects. The first event held at completion was a “celebration of WPA Project Day, held ‘for the purpose of acquainting the public with the accomplishments of the program during its first year’ ” (WPA Project Day Big Success Here, The Winona Times, July 3, 1936, p. 1, col. 3, as cited in Gatlin, 2008). A WPA Circulating Library Display was also featured during the celebration (Gatlin).
At present, the building continues to serve the community as an American Legion Hut.
Gatlin, W. (2008). Nomination form for the National Register of Historic Places. Retrieved from http://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/prop.aspx?id=24011&view=facts&y=959http://.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on January 7, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE