Grenada Community House
The Grenada Community House is a Tudor style “stone-veneered building with false-half-timbered gables, very similar to the community house in Pontotoc and Winona” and is part of the Grenada Downtown Historic District (Mississippi Department of Archives and History).
“On February 9, 1934, with aid from the WPA Library Project, the official Grenada County Library opened in the upstairs room in a building next to the Grenada Bank.
In 1936 the Community House was built on Line Street as a project through WPA. Part of the building became the new home of the library.
In 1963 the city of Grenada gave the entire Community House to the library…” (Staff Report, 2008, p. 54).
Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Historic Resources Inventory Database. Staff Report. (2008). From humble beginnings...to modern Elizabeth Jones Library. Grenada Mississippi: Publication of the Daily Star. Retrieved from http://www.elizabeth.lib.ms.us/GrenadaMagazine2008.pdf.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on January 14, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE