Community Center - CharlestonNational Archives Record Group 69-N
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a community center for African American residents of Wilson Hollow, Charleston, Kanawha County.
The exact location and condition of this structure are unknown to the Living New Deal.
The May 7, 1938 the Charleston Gazette notes that construction started in 1936 and “WPA Grant for Negro Social Center Received.”
The Charleston Daily Mail, 6 May 1938 also reported that “Negro Center Fund Granted.” Article cites work began “two years ago” and could resume. Noted allocation of $2,246 for the project with funds “practically all for labor.” “The building including an auditorium and classrooms is used instead as a social, recreational and training center.”
The Wilson Hollow Community center is also noted on “Real Achievement,” Charleston Gazette, 4 November 1938. The title “Community building in Wilson Hollow” suggests that the building had been recently completed in 1938.
National Archives Record Group 69-N.
Charleston Gazette, 7 May 1938, p 2.
Charleston Daily Mail, 6 May 1938, p 13.
Charleston Gazette, 4 November 1938, p. 14.
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on March 29, 2018.
Additional contributions by Ernest Everett Blevins.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE