Mercer Community Center
“In 1936, with funding supplied by the Federal Government through an agency called the “Works Progress Administration” (WPA), and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), the Town of Mercer started work on the Mercer Community Center/Public Library. Constructed entirely of pine logs from the area, it consisted of a main hall and a small area to house the library.” (http://www.mercerwi.com)
“The WPA workers who built this hall were all Finish woodsmen. The building is made of hand hewn pine logs, cut to fit together without mortar.” (http://newdeal.feri.org)
The building fell into disrepair in the late 1950s, but the town remodeled it in the 1990s and it now once again serves as a community center and public library for the Mercer community.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE