Originally known as “City Park,” the oldest park in Brooklyn dates back to 1836. The park became a popular place after the WPA significantly redeveloped the park in 1939-1940. The WPA relocated old trees and constructed baseball, football, basketball and handball facilities. On June 7, 1940, the Parks Department held a ceremony to celebrate the park’s official re-opening. Robert Moses, Mayor LaGuardia and the NYC Work Projects Administrator presided, and the ceremony was attended by 2,000 people. The following year, the WPA completed further work, erecting chain link fences and portable bleachers for the park’s two baseball diamonds.
Department of Parks, Press Release, June 7, 1940 Department of Parks, Press Release, April 19, 1941 Brooklyn's Grand Public Parks NYC Parks - Commodore Barry Park
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on November 27, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE