Commercial Pier No. 5 (former) – Washington DC

Description

Commercial Pier No. 5 was part of a large-scale New Deal redevelopment program for the Washington Channel and Southwest Waterfront area.

Construction of the pier began in 1940, by the Penker Construction Company of Cincinnati, Ohio, and was completed in 1941. The Army Corps of Engineers supervised the project and the total cost was about $270,000 (about $5 million in 2020 dollars). About 3,000 cypress and pine logs from Virginia were used to create the pier.

Commercial Pier No. 5 permitted a greater exchange of goods in the nation’s capital, and was the result of “many years of agitation” from the business community to enhance maritime facilities (Evening Star, March 7, 1937). It was also symbolic of the New Deal’s commitment to improving U.S. infrastructure.

The location of Commercial Pier No. 5 was described as being at the foot of 6th and N Streets, SW. Today, this is the location of the two southernmost piers of the Washington Channel – a pier for public boating excursions and a pier for the Washington DC Harbor Patrol, in the area of 550 to 580 Water Street SW.

It is unknown to the Living New Deal whether any part of Commercial Pier No. 5 still exists. Given various redevelopment projects along the Southwest Waterfront area since the New Deal era, as well as the normal deterioration of piers, it is unlikely – though the timbers driven into the mud to build such piers often have very long life-spans.

Project Details

Federal Cost Local Cost Total Cost Project #'s
$270,000 $270,000

Source notes

Work Due to Start Soon on Fifth Unit of Channel Project,” Evening Star (Washington, DC), August 30, 1940, p. B-1 (accessed April 17, 2021).

Battering 3,000 Logs Into Potomac for New Wharf Begins,” Evening Star (Washington, DC), November 6, 1940, p. B-1 (accessed April 17, 2021).

City to Greet River Traffic With Setting Of Beauty,” Sunday Star (Washington, DC), March 7, 1937, p. F-1 (accessed April 17, 2021).

Department of the Army, Annual Report of the Chief of Engineers, U.S. Army, 1941, Part 1, Volume 1, Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1941, pp. 458 (accessed April 11, 2021).

Department of the Army, Annual Report of the Chief of Engineers, U.S. Army, 1942, Part 1, Volume 1, Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1943, p. 398 (accessed April 17, 2021).

Department of the Army, Annual Report of the Chief of Engineers, U.S. Army, 1950, Part 1, Volume 1, Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1951, pp. 479-481 (accessed April 11, 2021).

Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on April 18, 2021.

We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.

SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE

Location Info


6th and N Streets, SW
Washington, DC 20024

Coordinates: 38.874515, -77.021185

Leave a Reply

Before leaving a comment, please note:

  • Comments allow viewers to share information with others or alert us to errors or changes in a New Deal site.
  • We are not involved in the management of New Deal sites and have no information about visits, hours or rentals.
  • This page shows all the information we have for this site; if you have new information or photos to share, click below.

SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE

We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.