Administrative Buildings and Rest Rooms Colorado State FairgroundsNational Archives, Record Group 69-N
“The fairgrounds have long been a gathering place for the state’s agricultural community and have also served as a vehicle to educate, promote and entertain the public about Colorado agriculture. Since 1901, farmers and stock men and women have come to the annual exposition at this location to display and compare their products, to see and learn about the latest advances in agricultural technology and techniques, and to purchase quality livestock. The 4-H club, a youth organization orientated toward agriculture education, has maintained a steady presence at the fairgrounds since 1918. The complex benefited from a number of Depression-era New Deal work-relief programs. The Federal Emergency Relief Administration and the Works Progress Administration helped fund and provide workers for the construction of six buildings, much of the perimeter walls, the extensive horse stables, and other infrastructure improvements. The fairgrounds also hosted a Civilian Conservation Corps camp.” (www.historycolorado.org)
The current status of much of the original New Deal-funded facilities is unknown to Living New Deal. The walls, as well as many of the buildings, are clearly of modern construction.
National Archives, Record Group 69-N
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on April 27, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE