The Colorado County Courthouse
The current Colorado County Courthouse was built between 1889 and 1891. In 1939, the Works Progress Administration was involved in excavating a basement for the courthouse for more office space. The WPA also coated the building with a cement mixture to seal the bricks against moisture. The workers applied cream colored paint to the exterior, green to the window frames and white to the dome cornices. The dome was given a coat of aluminum paint in order to make it appear silver, and the clock was repaired.
Historic American Buildings Survey, Colorado County Courthouse http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pnp/habshaer/tx/tx0700/tx0719/data/tx0719data.pdf
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on May 11, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE