Collin County Jail Front Facade
Collin County Jail was erected in 1880. The two-story Collin County Jail features quarry-faced, ashlar limestone masonry construction and exhibits detailing and massing characteristic of the High-Victorian Italianate style. Two-tiered pilasters mark the slightly projecting central bay. This bay features a low-pitched pressed-metal pediment above the top floor and a stone panel engraved with “Collin County Prison” above the double-door, front entrance. The jail was vacated when new facilities were completed in 1979.
Texas State Historical Marker: Completed in 1880, it was modified in 1938 with Funds from the Federal Public Works Administration.
Plaque on building:
Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works
Franklin D. Roosevelt
President of the United States
Harold L. Ickes
Administrator of Public Works
Collin County Jail
National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form, 1982, (https://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/NR/pdfs/83003132/83003132.pdf), accessed on November 18, 2017. (Note: This NRHP form notes that the remodeling was done in 1920 and makes no mention of the work done through the New Deal.)
Plaque on building
Project originally submitted by Eveline Evans on November 18, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE