College of Charleston Student Activities Building/GymPhoto Courtesy of Ernest Everett Blevins. Source: Blevins (2001) "Documentation of the Architecture of Samuel Lapham and the Firm of Simons & Lapham."
On 27 October 1937, the Radcliffe-King House was pulled down for the new College of Charleston Student Activities Building/Gymnasium building.
The new building was funded by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works, and was designed by Simons & Lapham, a well known Charleston, South Carolina architectural firm, which participated in may New Deal projects. The building included some rooms for dorms for out of county basketball players who attended the College of Charleston. See Blevins (2001): https://livingnewdeal.org/wp-content/uploads/gravity_forms/5-1524db4e8f93549db7fec5d73ae429b8/2018/01/CofC-Gym-pages-98-101.pdf
In 1994-1995 the building was renovated. The gymnasium’s rubber basketball floor was removed for a modern floor, an indoor walking track was suspended from the ceiling, and the stage was reduced in height to accommodate the suspended track. It was renamed the Willard A. Silcox Physical Education and Health Center after a long time College of Charleston coach nicknamed the “Godfather of George Street.”
Samuel Lapham, a College of Charleston Alumnus spoke at the Dedication with “Greetings from the Alumni” as “president of the Alumni Association.” The dedication was at 4:30 on 4 January 1940.
For further information see Source Notes: Blevins (2001) “Documentation of the Architecture of Samuel Lapham and the Firm of Simons & Lapham.” https://livingnewdeal.org/wp-content/uploads/gravity_forms/5-1524db4e8f93549db7fec5d73ae429b8/2018/01/CofC-Gym-pages-98-101.pdf
Blevins, Ernest Everett, Documentation of the Architecture of Samuel Lapham and the Firm of Simons & Lapham, SCAD Master of Fine Arts Thesis, 2001.
Blevins (2001, p. 98-101) excerpt: (https://livingnewdeal.org/wp-content/uploads/gravity_forms/5-1524db4e8f93549db7fec5d73ae429b8/2018/01/CofC-Gym-pages-98-101.pdf), accessed January 10, 2018.
Project originally submitted by Ernest Everett Blevins on January 10, 2018.