Codornices Park Tennis Court - Berkeley CAThis is one of the tennis courts
The Civil Works Administration (CWA) built tennis and handball courts at Codornices Park – most of which lies on the east side of Euclid Road and is accessed via a pedestrian tunnel from the ball courts, which are on the west side of the road.
The tennis and handball courts adjoin the more famous Berkeley Rose Garden. The CWA was the short-lived predecessor (1933-34) to the better known Works Progress Administration (WPA), which constructed the Rose Garden. It is likely that the CWA began the work for the Rose Garden by creating the semi-circular hollow out of the valley cut by Codornices Creek, but this has not been confirmed.
(The ball courts and rose garden are so twinned that they are shown here as both at the same location).
Berkeley Civic Affairs Publication, 1933-34.
Project originally submitted by Shaina Potts on July 25, 2010.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE