Coast Guard Air Station St. Petersburg was built during 1934-1935 with Public Works Administration (PWA) funds and under Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor and rules.
Built during this time were a 100 ft by 120 ft aircraft hangar and associated maintenance shops, a seaplane ramp, concrete aprons and aircraft operating areas, an underground aircraft fuel storage facilities, two Spanish-style enlisted barracks, a vehicle maintenance garage, and a building containing the galley, mess hall, recreation hall and officers’ quarters.
With the addition of larger aircraft in 1976, the air station had to move to an airport with longer runways so the air station relocated to the St Petersburg International Airport and was renamed Air Station Clearwater. The original site is now Coast Guard Sector St. Petersburg.
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on January 2, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE