Closter, NJ Borough Hall
“Closter Borough Hall, erected in 1938, was a triumph of effort and cooperation between our local leaders of that time and the able workforce provided by the federal Works Progress Administration (the “WPA”). Its style is described as Art Deco/Moderne, or “WPA Moderne,” a label which denotes both the aesthetic elements of the architecture and its practical origins…
Architect Carl G. Mettberg designed the building, and the WPA labor to construct it was provided at very little cost (25% of its actual value). A ceremonial laying of the cornerstone took place on March 12, 1938…
Some stylistic details which are make this building interesting are the light-yellow colored vertical ornamentations on the front of the building, which are meant to evoke the image of a Mayan temple. This style was popular at that time in many Art Deco buildings. At the top of each of these areas there is a circular design with outward-projecting “darts.” During Borough Hall’s earlier years, flagpoles projected above the roofline at the top of each of these decorative towers. Another stylistic feature that is still present is the horizontal band of the stucco dentil molding, running across the building near the parapet.”
The building has been added to since its original construction.
http://www.closterhistoricpreservation.org/documents/newsletter/newsletter21_spring08.pdf Photograph courtesy of Kyle Chiger
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on October 11, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE