Detail of Marsh, "Sorting the Mail", Clinton Building - Washington DC
The Clinton Federal Building (north) was originally the US Post Office Department headquarters, completed under the New Deal in 1934. It contains a wealth of New Deal artworks commissioned and paid for by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts – 25 murals and 22 sculptural elements (12 bas-reliefs, 2 statues, 8 wood medallions) – featuring postal themes.
Reginald Marsh painted two large (6’7″ x 12’6″) murals for the Post Office building: “Sorting the Mail” and “Unloading the Mail” (1936).
The Marsh murals hang in the 4th floor of the north wing of the Clinton building.
The building is presently occupied by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and is not freely open to the public. To arrange for a tour of the New Deal murals, email [email protected].
Project originally submitted by New Deal Art Registry on July 11, 2014.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE