Detail, Lockwood, "Opening of the Southwest", Clinton Building-Washington DC
The Clinton Federal Building (north) was originally the US Post Office Department headquarters, completed under the New Deal in 1934. It contains a wealth of New Deal artworks commissioned and paid for by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts – 25 murals and 22 sculptural elements (12 bas-reliefs, 2 statues, 8 wood medallions) – featuring postal themes.
Ward Lockwood painted two large (6′ x 13.5′) murals for the former Post Office Building: “Opening of the Southwest” and “Consolidation of the West” (1937). These reflect conventional American thinking in the 1930s about the conquest of the west as a peaceful process of settlement. Even though Lockwood lived in the southwest and appreciated Native American culture, his murals still offer stereotypes such as the naked buffalo hunter and Hopi Snake Dance.
The Lockwood mural hang on the 5th floor of the south wing of the building.
The Clinton building is presently occupied by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and is not freely open to the public. To arrange for a tour of the New Deal murals, email [email protected].
Project originally submitted by New Deal Art Registry on July 11, 2014.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE