Crimi, "Post Office Work Room", Clinton Bldg - Washington DC
The Clinton Federal Building (north) was originally the US Post Office Department headquarters, completed under the New Deal in 1934. It contains a wealth of New Deal artworks commissioned and paid for by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts: 25 murals and 22 sculptural elements (12 bas-reliefs, 2 statues, 8 wood medallions).
Alfred D. Crimi painted two large (7′ x 13.5′) frescoes for the Post Office building in 1937: “Transportation of Mail” and “Post Office Work Room”. They are located on the 4th floor of the south wing of the building.
Sarah Gordon notes that: “Crimi, an experienced fresco painter who trained in Italy, spent an average of fourteen hours per day in the Post Office Department building, planning his composition and applying his pigments to the wet plaster, and he worked up to eighteen hours per day when rain and high humidity caused the plaster to set more slowly. During the time he spent painting, Crimi recorded many interactions with postal workers, executives, inspectors, messenger boys, and salesmen, who commented, questioned, and challenged his work.”
The building is presently occupied by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and is not freely open to the public. To arrange for a tour of the New Deal murals, email [email protected].
Project originally submitted by New Deal Art Registry on July 11, 2014.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE