Exhibit & Auction Building - Clinton, OKPhoto: hamquilter Creative Commons
The Works Progress Administration built the Exhibit & Auction Building at the Clinton Fairgrounds in Clinton OK.
“This is a two-story building, with randomly laid native sandstone walls. The roof is flat and the windows are casement units with stone sills and lintels. At the south end, the main entrance is a one-story projected entry foyer, with three single doors and sidelights. Above this entrance is a frieze which reads: “19 EXHIBIT & AUCTION BUILDING 41”.
The building was begun is 1940 as shown on the bronze WPA shield mounted to the right of the entrances. The building is located at N. 6th Street and Nowahy Avenue.
We were fortunate enough to find the occupant on-site during our visit. She indicated that the building has housed the Southwest Playhouse since 1976. The playhouse actors present their performances on the “stage” where pigs were once auctioned off. Stadium seating is located along each side of the auditorium and the plays are well-attended. This is a beautiful example of well-preserved and re-purposed WPA construction.”
Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory: http://oli_shpo.okstate.edu/query_result.aspx?id=68317&pbc=P
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on May 4, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE