Clinton Armory - Clinton OKPhoto: hamquilter Creative Commons
The Works Progress Administration built the Clinton Armory in Clinton OK.
“The Clinton Armory was built by the WPA between 1935-1937. It was designed by Bryan W. Nolan. The main entrance faces south onto Opal Avenue, across from the large McLain Rogers Park. It is addressed as 723 S. 13th. The armory was placed on the National Register in 1994.
The south portion of the armory is one-story red brick with a flat roof and was used for offices and storage. The main entrance has a single glass door with sidelights, flanked by wide brick pilasters, with a cast concrete surround. Each of the steel-framed windows is separated by a brick pilaster. Cast concrete detailing is used for embellishment, which includes concrete sills, and cast concrete pediments above each pilaster and above the entrance. On the west side of this section of the building are four overhead vehicle doors, which were replaced with steel in the 1980’s.
The north portion of the building is the original drill floor which has a barrel roof. This area is currently set up as a basketball court, and used by the town for youth basketball games.”
Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory: https://oli_shpo.okstate.edu/query_result.aspx?id=41421&pbc=P
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on May 11, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE