In 1931, the Seattle Park Department acquired the property for the Cleveland Playfield at 13th Avenue South and Lucile Street, immediately west of Grover Cleveland High School. As a new park facility, the playground had seen few if any improvements prior to 1933, when a Civil Works Administration project granted $2,000 for the construction of concrete retaining walls along Lucile Street and the hillside leading up to the high school. CWA workers completed the wall the following year. Beginning in 1935, WPA laborers leveled and graded the property. A second WPA project, begun in 1938, resulted in the construction of a quarter-mile running track around the playfield, along with a jumping pit and runway.
"Cleveland Playfield." Seattle Parks and Recreation. Accessed May 5, 2016. Seattle Board of Park Commissioners. Annual Reports. Seattle, WA: Seattle Board of Park Commissioners, 1933, 1934, 1935, 1938.
Project originally submitted by Scott Newman on May 9, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE