Cleveland County Courthouse, Norman, OK
“In 1938 the PWA officials approved a $94,000 grant for a new courthouse and jail, with the remaining funds to be secured by a county bond issue.
Noted OKC architect Walter T. Vahlgert designed the new courthouse directly in front of the existing courthouse which continued to function while the new courthouse was being built. Tankersley Construction Company of Oklahoma City constructed the courthouse at a total cost of $209,090. The combination of the Classical Revival form with Art Deco ornamentation was popular for public construction projects in the late 1930’s and early 1940’s, particularly for projects funded by the PWA. Prisoners were transferred in the new structure on June 11, 1940. The 1906 courthouse was demolished by Works Projects Administration (WPA) workers in the early 1940’s.
The Cleveland County Courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on December 28, 2000.” (http://www.blogoklahoma.us)
Project originally submitted by Charles Swaney on June 7, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE