Clear Springs Recreation Area lake was constructed between 1935 and 1937 by the Civilian Conservation Corps. The lake retains its original design even though restoration work has been done on wooden shoring and spillway. The picnic pavilion was constructed in rustic style, and is a one-story, T-plan structure of logs. The structure includes a brick fireplace and wooden slab benches. The gazebo is a hexagon shape. The lake is a landscape element after the land was acquired in 1933 for the Homochitto National Forest. State forester was Fred B. Merrill and Supervisor was R. M. Conarro.
Sanders, T. (1998). Nomination form Clear Springs Recreation Area for National Register of Historic Places.
Mississippi Department of Archives & History, Historic Resources Inventory.
Park Project Gets Approval. June 27, 1937. Clarion-Ledger, P. 20.
Plans for State Forests Pushed. Feb. 22, 1937. Clarion-Ledger, p. 7.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on April 20, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE