Only the 2 sandstone chimneys survive what had became a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)-built shelter house in 1935. 1 stone floor appears to be completely rebuilt. Nearby one … of 2 stone and timber picnic tables, another site has a tabletop. Documentation suggests that was the site of the “hilltop house”, briefly used as the forest headquarters when first acquired in 1903. (A new headquarters was built two years later at the eat side of the property.)
DNR Historic Site and Structures Inventory; Outdoor Indiana 1934-1942; Department of Conservation Annual Reports 1919-1942; State Board of Forestry Annual Report 1903-1917
Project originally submitted by Indiana DNR, Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology on September 17, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE