Clark bowen lake
“Clark State Forest, located just north of Henryville, Indiana in the United States, is Indiana’s oldest state forest, formed in 1903 as a forest research facility and a nursery and later expanded by the Works Progress Administration. Originally 2,028 acres (8 km²) of total land area, it is now almost 24,000 acres (100 km2) and is bisected by Interstate 65.
“During the Great Depression, the Works Progress Administration chose to make Clark State Forest a training center for the Civilian Conservation Corps, and also made it Indiana’s largest CCC cantonment in November 1933. They created artificial lakes within Clark State Forest, and built many bridges, to aid in water conservation, provide beauty spots within the forest, and teach forestry skills to members of the Civilian Conservation Corps. The state forest’s proximity to the Jeffersonville Quartermaster Depot was key in the decision to focus so much attention on it.”
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE