Funding for construction of the Las Vegas Grammar School at 400 Las Vegas Blvd. South was provided by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA). The school was completed in 1936, and the building now serves as the Clark County Courthouse Annex.
According to a local historic district nomination:
“Then, following a major fire in May 1934 which gutted the city’s old high school (which now functions as a grade school) Public Works Administration officials agreed to build a new grade school at Fourth and Bridger (today the Clark County Courthouse Annex and listed on the National Register of Historic Places).”
Construction on the school began in Mar. 1936 and was completed October of that year. The PWA provided $85,024 toward the project, whose final cost was $217,093.
(PWA Docket No. NV 1011.)
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 204. https://viewshare.org/views/kcarter/fdr-librarys-list-of-new-deal-projects-part-2/ Las Vegas High School Neighborhood Historic District Nomination: https://www.lasvegasnevada.gov/files/LVHSnomination.pdf
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 19, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE