Mural detail(Courtesy: Charles Swaney)
There are four large (about 20′ tall), vertically-oriented murals in the auditorium of the Clare Middle School, originally the Clare High School, on the north wall of the auditorium. The outer murals are dominated by a woman on the left, and a man on the right, both with sheets behind scenes of prosperous agriculture in front of the woman and oil wells and buildings in front of the man. The right of two center panels depicts scientists in front of classical thinkers. The left of the center panels depicts farmers and agricultural goods in the foreground with athletes, musicians, children, nurses, and people in the everyday world. All of the subjects seem to have an unsmiling, grim determination.
The murals were executed at the Detroit Institute of the Arts in 1938 and transported to Clare.
Project originally submitted by Charles Swaney on June 21, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE