Portion of WPA Rock Wall Around Civic League Park
Civic League Park sits on land donated by Uriah Gilliam Taylor to the San Angelo Civic League in 1904. The San Angelo City Council accepted the property as a park in 1907, and Taylor signed the deed over to the city in 1911. During the Depression, Works Progress Administration laborers improved the park based on the designs of Albert Nealy Carlin, the city’s first superintendent of parks. These improvements include a bridge and the rock work around the park. Civic League Park is still in use and is the site of one of the world’s foremost waterlily collections.
Gosanangelo, (https://www.gosanangelo.com/story/news/2020/02/12/women-largely-responsible-earliest-park-developments-san-angelo/4736569002/), accessed May 2020.
Gosanangelo, (https://www.gosanangelo.com/story/news/2020/01/22/history-san-angelo-parks-began-santa-fe-railroad/4470653002/), accessed May 2020.
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on May 2, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE