City Terrace Park was planned in 1931 but the park space wasn’t completed until 1933, when crews of workers from the Works Progress Administration* finished cutting into three and a half acres of rugged hillside, creating terrace space for the new city park.
* While sources cite the WPA, the agency was not established until 1935. 1933 efforts may have been undertaken by a predecessor agency, the Civil Works Administration (CWA).
Construction crews terracing designated park land. Arizona red sandstone from the demolition of the former Los Angeles County Courthouse (1891-1936) was re-used in construction of park features.
Original 1931 park plans as shown in the Los Angeles Times.
“Since the initial development in the early 1930’s, it remained unchanged for 20 years. In 1957, 600,000 cubic yards of soil removed from the construction of the L.A. City Civic Center were transported to the park and used to fill a ravine that bordered the park, tripling the park’s acreage.”
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE