Winona’s historic city hall was constructed during the Great Depression as a Public Works Administration (PWA) New Deal project. Sometimes mis-attributed to the Works Progress Administration (WPA), this three-story brick and Winona stone structure was constructed in 1938-9. The PWA provided a grant of $103,815 for the project, whose total cost was $216,406.
“The building was renovated and expanded in 2004. It was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.”
PWA Docket No. Minn. [X]1439
Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 135.
Winona Daily News: "Icons of Winona - City Hall." https://www.winonadailynews.com/special-section/icons/icons-of-winona---city-hall/article_ea9bbe13-e652-52f2-93d5-976e755c216e.html (accessed May 24, 2022)
Project originally submitted by Fayth Blissett-kissner on May 24, 2022.
Additional contributions by Evan Kalish.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE