Wagoner City Hall(Creative Commons)
The Wagoner City Hall was built by the WPA in 1936-37.
“A single story, rectangular (40′ x 79′) structure, the Wagoner City Hall is constructed of rusticated and coursed native sandstone…
The Wagoner City Hall is significant because it reflects the wide range of projects undertaken by the WPA and its method of operations. City halls were considered ‘useful’ projects, just like schools and armories. And rather than begin construction anew, in the instance of Wagoner the WPA began with an old structure and ‘reconstructed’ it. Put differently, the agency tore down an old building and built a new one in its place.” (www.okhistory.org)
The building now holds the City Public Works Office.
Project originally submitted by Michele Hansford on May 15, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE