Outline of original building, facing NE
In 1935, the WPA demolished Sebastopol’s original wood-frame city hall and replaced it with a reinforced concrete building containing both municipal offices and a fire station. The Santa Rosa architectural firm, William F. Herbert and Clarence A. Caulkins designed the building in the Streamline Moderne, a style they also applied to the 1936 New Deal-financed Park Side School, located a few blocks to the west. Seeking more space, the fire department moved to McKinley Street in the 1960s. The core of the structure built by the WPA lies behind a 1974 renovation that created a redwood and brick pergola across the front façade and affected all facades except the east elevation facing Edman Way. The building continues to house the major governmental functions of the City of Sebastopol.
Goddard, Paulene. The Impact of the Works Projects Administration (WPA) in Sonoma County. M.A. thesis
Dinkelspiel Cerny, Susan. "An Architectural Guidebook to San Francisco and the Bay Area," Salt Lake City: Gibbs Smith, Publisher, 2007.
Project originally submitted by John Murphey on April 28, 2008.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE