City Hall/Old Marsac School -Park City
The former Marsac School in Park City, Utah was constructed in 1935-36 as a New Deal project with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. It is a large building built to consolidate earlier schools in the town. It now serves as the Park City city hall.
The building was bought by the city from the school district c. 1983, which built a new school complex outside the old town. It was renovated once, then completely redone again c. 2008, according to the plaques on the south front. Oddly, only the state historical plaque mentions the New Deal contribution.
The architects were Carl Scott and George Welch, and the building is an elegant example of the Moderne style in brick. It sits on a hillside above the center of Park City and commands the view over the old mining town. The exterior is in impeccable condition, but the interior appears to have been completely reconstructed.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
|PWA Docket No. UT W1009|
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 209.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 22, 2016.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE