Post Office and former Federal Court House, Sitka, Alaska
Sitka, Alaska’s City Hall was originally constructed as the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse. Constructed during the Great Depression, the concrete-construction federal building was completed to replace a wooden frame structure that had burned in 1936. The two-story building was designed in the prevailing Moderne style with simple Art Deco details and was constructed for $168,000. It has been used as Sitka’s city hall since 1993.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
Millard, L., & Welsh, A. (August 18, 1997). Sitka US Post Office and Courthouse nomination form for the National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. Department of the Interior. Post Office Staff Moves. (March 22, 1938). The Alaska Miner, p. 3.
Project originally submitted by Susan C. Allen on January 1, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE