St. Louis City Hall Mural, 1934 Carl Bonfig, "Spirit of St. Louis"
A 1990 St. Louis City Hall History Brochure contains the following description:
“The murals inside the Market and Tucker Blvd entrances were painted in 1934 by Carl Bonfig, who was described as a decorator. He was paid $1.37 an hour under a federal works program. He was commissioned to copy existing paintings to create the six murals. Three were completed — ‘The Spirit of St. Louis,’ a picture of Charles Lindberg’s plane; a painting of the Forest Park statue of King Louis IX on his horse and ‘Front Street in 1840,’ a copy of a lithograph by Joseph Casper Wild that shows the riverfront and the first building used as City Hall — when the project came to the attention of the Municipal Art Commission. They halted the project, saying the murals did not meet the artistic standards required for a public building.”
Project originally submitted by Charles Swaney on April 3, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE