City Hall - Lindsay CA
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of this magnificent city hall in Lindsay CA in 1936. The building style is Mission Revival, designed by local architect Fred L. Schwartz. It has been little altered and stands today as a reminder of the elegance of so many mid-20th century civic buildings.
“The new city hall in Lindsay is a U-shaped structure with over-all dimensions of 158 by 65 feet. The wing on the left is used as a hall for public meetings and for sessions of the court. The wing on the right contains rooms for the chamber of commerce and the American Legion. The central part of the building has a room used for a city office with smaller rooms for the chief of police, a record storage vault, and necessary toilet facilities. All of the offices and rooms are reached from an open corridor around the courtyard.
The construction is reinforced concrete and is designed to withstand earthquake shocks. The total floor area is approximately 7,800 square feet. The building was completed in 1936 at a construction cost of $57,804 and a project cost of $65,932.” (Short & Stanley-Brown 1939).
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
|65932||California No. 1195-R|
Short, C. W. and R. Stanley-Brown (1939) Public Buildings: Architecture under the Public Works Administration, 1933 to 1939. United States Government Printing Office, Washington, DC.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE