Hampton City HallNational Register of Historic Places Registration Form: National Register: "The former City Hall (VDHR #114-5142) located at 40 Kings Way is the only Art Deco building in the district. It was designed by the firm of Williams, Coile and Pipino of Newport News Virginia and constructed in 1938. The building is concrete with brick cladding and has a 1962 rear brick addition. It has a flat roof with a parapet. The entrance projects on the right side with fluted pilasters topped with limestone reliefs. The entrance features a monumental stair, double door entry topped by an original transom and a decorative relief separating it from a second story glass block window." (pg. 5)
In 1938 Hampton, Virginia’s historic city hall building was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds.The PWA contributed $24,545 toward the project, whose final cost was $77,193. (PWA Docket No. VA [W]1074.). In 2006, the building was converted into Kingsway Apartments.
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 120. The National Register of Historic Places - Hampton City Hall The New Deal in Hampton, Virginia Hampton Downtown Historical District: National Register of Historic Places Registration Form Public Works Administration Dockets for Virginia 1934-1939 - Photo #3 Wikipedia: Hampton City Hall
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 1, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE