Cedartown City Hall (former), Polk County Courthouse No. 2 (current)View of west and south façades from Prior Street. Photo courtesy of Ernest Everett Blevins, MFA (http://ernestblevins.com).
In 1935, the Works Progress Administration funded the construction of a new city hall for Cedartown. Designed by Atlanta architect Otis Clay Poundstone, the Neoclassical Revival style city hall stands out as it overlooks downtown with Main Street (old US 27) curving around the building. In terms of practicality, this allowed for the addition of a wing in which the fire department was housed. The building also houses the police department and a city auditorium. The city hall was replaced in 1976 with a new Civic Complex to the east, and this became an annex for the Polk County Courthouse known as Polk County Courthouse No. 2.
Restoration plaque on building for Polk County Courthouse No. 2
Interpretative sign located in public area across Prior Street indicating architect, funding source, and historical photograph.
"Cedartown Commercial Historic District " National Register Nonimnation https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/GetAsset/74bfdbf4-721b-451d-81f7-e217f8fa0cf5/?branding=NRHP
"Polk County Courthouse No. 2 - 1935 - Cedartown, GA" http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMPRVG_Polk_County_Courthouse_No_2_1935_Cedartown_GA
Project originally submitted by Ernest Everett Blevins on November 8, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE