Columbus City HallColumbus, OH city hall from the southeast
“City Hall, located at 90 West Broad Street, occupied (with its park) an entire block in the civic center. The five-story structure of Indiana limestone, in Greco-Roman style, was designed by the Allied Architects Association of Columbus and cost $1,700,000. Three of the four sections of the building were completed in 1928; the fourth [the East Wing] was dedicated in 1936.” (oclc.org)
The federal Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $186,800 loan and $145,217 grant toward the East Wing’s completion. That wing faces North Front St.
The building’s northeast cornerstone cites the PWA project number and identifies the project’s architect as Allied Architects Association of Columbus Limited. The year 1934, when construction began, is placed above the East Wing entrance, and the year is also etched into the marble base of lamps to either side of the entrance.
(PWA Docket No. OH 1454)
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 65.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 4, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE