The University of North Texas’s Chilton Hall was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. The P.W.A. provided roughly $209,000 for the construction of it and Terrill Hall.
“Chilton Hall was the first dormitory to be built to house men. It was opened in 1938. Located on the west side of Avenue C, the structure originally faced the tennis courts that were located behind the Orchestra Hall (now the location of the Music Building). During World War II, the dormitory housed the Army Air Corps soldiers who were sent to a glider training center in Denton. This structure was renovated in the late 1980s, filling in the courtyard of the U-shaped structure. The outside walls were preserved and are now used as interior walls. It now houses offices and classrooms.”
P.W.A. Project No. 1010-F
"Building the New Deal: Federal Construction on College Campuses in 1930s Texas," by Kaitlyn Waynen http://blogs.library.unt.edu/unt125/2015/08/17/public-works-administration-buildings-on-campus/ http://blogs.library.unt.edu/unt125/2016/07/11/early-dorms/
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on May 10, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE