Chesapeake City Elementary School
Contracts for the construction of two high schools in Cecil County (Cecilton and Chesapeake City) were awarded to to Lang Brothers of Baltimore by the PWA in December 1938. The $134,800 contract for the Chesapeake City high school called for “a two-story and part basement [consolidated school building], designed to take care of 490 pupils.”
According to The Cecil Democrat, the contract called for “modern heating, plumbing, and electrical work.” The facilities were as follows:
Basement: A cafeteria, kitchen, boiler room, fuel storage and engineer’s room, and industrial arts rooms.
First floor: Six classrooms, a teacher room, doctor’s office, an auditorium with stage and dressing rooms, and bathrooms.
Second floor: Four classrooms, a home economics room, commercial room, the principal’s office, and bathrooms.
Chesapeake City High School became the Chesapeake City Elementary School in September 1958 upon the opening of — and the transfer of Chesapeake City high school students to — the Bohemia Manor High School.
The Cecil Democrat, Elkton, Maryland. Saturday, December 31, 1938. http://www.cecilhistory.org/chesapeakecity/CCHS/History.html
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on October 1, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE