Cherry Clinton Playground
Today’s NYC Parks website explains that:
“The land now occupied by Cherry Clinton Playground was owned by the Board of Education through the first few decades of the 20th century, and was used as the Seventh Ward Athletic Field until jurisdiction was transferred to Parks on June 16, 1938. The park was opened to the public on April 3, 1940 and included four paddle tennis courts, four handball courts, and a basketball-volleyball court.”
The 1940 press release announcing the playground’s opening further explained that the playground was “designed by the Park Department and built by the Work Projects Administration.”
Department of Parks, Press Release, April 4, 1940 NYC Parks - Cherry Clinton Playground New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on November 25, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE