On June 25, 1936, the Department of Parks announced the completion of a reconstructed area at this neighborhood park in Chelsea, explaining:
“…the reconstructed area will have a large play area with one ball field, handball courts, complete play equipment for small children and a wading pool.”
The park was further redesigned by the WPA in 1940, which added a new asphalt surface to west section of the park “graded so that it can be flooded for ice-skating when sub-freezing temperatures permit. In season it will be used for roller skating, roller hockey, softball, basketball and other group games.” The WPA also built “three basketball courts, three handball courts, two horseshoe pitching courts and a skittle court. There is also a completely equipped children’s playground with a large wading pool and a brick comfort station. The easterly portion of the park surrounding the Health Center Building, erected and opened to the public in 1937, on the roof of which is a public playground, has been redesigned as a sitting area.”
On June 6, 1940, the new and improved Chelsea Park was officially opened to the public in a ceremony attended by Mayor LaGuardia, Robert Moses, and the NYC Works Progress Administrator Brehon B. Somervell.
Department of Parks, Press Release, June 25, 1936 Department of Parks, Press Release, June 6, 1940 New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43 NYC Parks - Chelsea Park
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on October 6, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE