Chehalem Cultural Center (Central School) – Newberg OR

Project type: ,
Started:
Completed:
Contractors:
Quality of Information:
Status:
Site Survival:
View Project in a Separate Window

Description

As indicated by the Newberg Area Historical Society marker on site, a $15,000 Public Works Administration (PWA) grant allowed the Newberg School District to secure a $35,000 bond to build this brick building, occupied currently by the Chehalem Cultural Center.

The New Deal era Central School (1935) replaced a wooden school building at the same location that dated from 1889. As early as 1933, the structure was declared a fire hazard. Newberg voters approved raising funds for the new school in 1934 with the necessary bond secured by the PWA grant.

H. J. Settergren, a Portland area contractor, built the new Central School in 1935 for approximately $50,ooo. Unreinforced hollow clay tiles were used to construct the fire-proof one-story school, which was decorated with an exterior brick veneer. The school opened its doors to students on September 23, 1935. Because of its full-sized basement windows, over time the building could be used as a two-story facility with its basement converted to classroom use.  With additions made during the 1950s, it served as a school until 1995. At that time, it no longer met the capacity required by the Newberg School District.

The Chehalem Parks and Recreation District subsequently acquired the building and renovated the structure in 2003. In addition to seismic upgrading, the building received a new front entrance at that time.

Project Details

Federal Cost Local Cost Total Cost Project #'s
$15,000 $35,000 $50,000

Source notes

Doyle, Barbara. "Central School to Chehalem Cultural Center: Part Four," Newberg Area Historical Society website (accessed June 1, 2021). Central School to Chehalem Cultural Center: Part Four (newbergareahistoricalsociety.com)

Doyle, Barbara. "Central School to Chehalem Cultural Center: Part Five," Newberg Area Historical Society website (accessed June 1, 2021).

Newberg Area Historical Society, "Central School - 1889." Marker located at 412 E. Sheridan St., Newberg OR.

"Portlander Gets School Contract: Newberg's New Building to Cost About $50,000," Oregonian. January 15, 1935.

"School Bond Bids All Par Or More," Oregonian. January 10, 1935.

Project originally submitted by Judith T. Kenny on June 3, 2021.

We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.

SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE

Location Info


415 E. Sheridan St.
Newberg, OR 97132

Coordinates: 45.302355, -122.97508

Leave a Reply

Before leaving a comment, please note:

  • Comments allow viewers to share information with others or alert us to errors or changes in a New Deal site.
  • We are not involved in the management of New Deal sites and have no information about visits, hours or rentals.
  • This page shows all the information we have for this site; if you have new information or photos to share, click below.

SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE

We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.