Cheatham Place, Nashville TN c. 2014
The Cheatham Place public housing complex was undertaken in Nashville, Tennessee following the passage of the Housing Act of 1937 and establishment of the United States Housing Authority (USHA). The USHA worked in conjunction with the Public Works Administration (PWA) in providing funds for local housing development projects, two of which were the segregated communities of Cheatham Place and Andrew Jackson Court.
The Cheatham Place project was a Colonial Revival Style Community Building centered the 352 apartments of 2, 3, and 4 room units, located on 21 acres. The complex was constructed for white families, at a total cost of $2,000,000. Many features of the original complex remain and are in use.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
Leighninger, R. D. (2007). Long-Range Public Investment: The Forgotten Legacy of the New Deal. University of South Carolina Press. Van West, C. (2001). Tennessee's New Deal Landscape: A Guidebook. Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press. p. 137-138.
Project originally submitted by Susan C. Allen on December 10, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE