Charlotte SchoolCharlotte School
“During the Great Depression, the old wooden building used by the academy was replaced in 1936 with one made of sandstone built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). While this school was being constructed, school was held in the Methodist church building behind what was then Weaver’s Store. The WPA building is in use today by the school district, with the Bayou Dota Masonic Lodge No. 126 holding its meetings upstairs. In 1952, the Charlotte and Cord schools merged to form the Cord-Charlotte School District. In 2004, Cord-Charlotte consolidated with the Newark school district to create the Cedar Ridge School District. Cord-Charlotte still has an elementary campus for grades K–6.”
Encyclopedia of Arkansas: (http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=9219#), accessed August 1, 2018.
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on August 2, 2018.