Chapman Elementary School – Chapman KS

Description

“Building has ahslar quarry-faced limestone walls laid in a random range. Dressed stone details include beltcourses and arched entry surround. The symmetrical facade has a 9-bay central block. At its center the castellated entry surround projects slightly from the building wall. Four-bay wings project in front of the central block. Modern 4/4 metal windows fill the original openings. A later gymnasium addition behind the original school has large blank walls…Damaged by tornado spring/summer 2008. Additions to school in 1952, 1959 and 1984. Original windows replaced recently. This school was constructed as an elementary and middle school in 1935. Construction of was funded in part by a $12,800 from the WPA. The total project cost was $45,000. It was designed by Murray & Cayton and built by R.B. White and Son (Junction City). A 1952 addition added four classrooms. The gym was remodeled into classroom space in 1959. A new gym was added in 1984” (Kansas Historical Society).

It is not clear if this building is still standing or not.

Source notes

http://khri.kansasgis.org/?url=khri

We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.

SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE

Location Info


N. Marshall Ave.
Chapman, KS 67431

Coordinates: 38.97452643341963, -97.01911320768738

One comment on “Chapman Elementary School – Chapman KS

  1. Avatar Scott A Wiedeman

    “It is not clear if this building is still standing or not.”

    The grade school was indeed razed following the 2008 tornado damage. The remaining middle school was renovated and expanded on this site, while a brand new elementary school was built at a new location.
    Interestingly, it took federal disaster funds covering 75% and an election-passed school bond to cover the remaining 25% of the total cost to replace or repair the 3 schools damaged or destroyed in the tornado.

Leave a Reply

Before leaving a comment, please note:

  • Comments allow viewers to share information with others or alert us to errors or changes in a New Deal site.
  • We are not involved in the management of New Deal sites and have no information about visits, hours or rentals.
  • This page shows all the information we have for this site; if you have new information or photos to share, click below.

SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE

We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.