In 1933 a group of women organized the Sunshine Club in Chapel Hill, a community near Utica in Hinds county. They secured the donation of land for a clubhouse, helped clear the grounds area and cut trees for the logs with which to construct the facility. In 1934, a work relief project of the Federal Emergency Relief Administration was approved which included construction of the club room. The club was active in rural health work including sanitary disposal, protecting water supplies, prenatal clinic, and infant/pre-school education conferences through collaboration of the Hinds county health department. The facility was a log structure with stone chimney. A log house similar to the news item picture of the 1934 clubhouse is visible via Google maps on Clubhouse Road near the Chapel Hill community and may be the former clubhouse.
Noblin, W. E. (Jan 6, 1935). Chapel Hill club builds clubhouse. Clarion-Ledger, p. 2.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on August 28, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE