The Arsenal, Central Park
The Report of the Department of Parks to August 1934: Memorandum on 1935 Budget Request of the Department of Parks, NYC Department of Parks archive: “When the Arsenal became part of the new Zoo group, the walls were sandblasted, and the original brick repointed. The conical roofs topping the eight towere were removed; the towers raised and concrete ramparts placed as copings. The restoration of the building to substantially its original character has brought out the naive excellence of its amhitecture, and as restored it is one of ths handsomest public buildings in the City.”
Central Park Arsenal History, NY Department of Parks Website.
Thomas Jefferson Play Center, Landmarks Preservation Commission, July 24, 2007 Designation List 394 LP-2236: ”When Moses took over the Parks Department, it was already employing 69,000 relief workers funded mainly by the federal Civil Works Administration (CWA) and the Temporary Emergency Relief Administration (TERA).” This is the best explanation we have found so far of how the Arsenal was renovated for the new unifed Parks Department
The 1851 Central Park Arsenal at the Daytonian in Manhattan website (historic images).
Scheier, Joan, The Central Park Zoo, Arcadia Publishing (2002), p.45.
This text adapted from www.kermitproject.org
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on July 23, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE