Greenwich’s Central Fire Station was constructed in 1937-9 as a New Deal project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $119,250 grant for the project, whose total cost was $326,788. PWA Docket No. CT [W]1274.
CTHistory: “In February 1936 the Board of Selectmen recommended “the appointment of a paid fire chief who shall have charge of all fire departments within the town, the appointment of a 15-man force to be on duty at all times in the Central Fire Station, installation of an automatic fire alarm system to be housed in the Central Fire Station.” In addition $45,000 (over $700,000 today) was approved for the purchase of property between Town Hall and Mason Street for the Central Fire Station; a month later it was decided this building should be a combined fire and police station. In February 1938, Stuart M. Potter was appointed to the position of chief of the town’s fire departments; in January 1939 the Central Fire-Police Station on Havemeyer Place was opened.”
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 3.
https://connecticuthistory.org/the-greenwich-avenue-fires-of-1908-and-1936-sparked-upgrades-to-towns-emergency-services/ (accessed Mar. 2018)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 23, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE